Friday, April 3, 2009

God of Truth

I should really just try and commit myself to posting once every week (and a half) or something because I have problems with posting regularly. Problems that I should seek help for...

So lately, I have been meditating on How our Lord is a God of Truth. This seems like a pretty simple straight forward concept, no? Well, maybe it is me being slow to catch on to things but... I never thought about what that actually mean in practice. If God is truth, what does that exactly mean? I have been learning the answer to that question recently. It seems like in my life and in others that there is a constant struggle between truth and lies. Between the God of truth and the father of lies. So I have been praying a lot recently, asking for God to reveal His truth in my life. His truth of my identity and the truth of his identity.

When I am asking God to reveal truth in my identity, I am asking for Him to show light to reveal the darkness and lies in my life. I feel like I, and many others, grew up with so many lies and liars in my life. Ever since we are children people have tried to deceive us. Tell us that evil done to us or to others is good. People telling us we are worthless, that we deserve nothing, that we are ugly or to settle for something less than what we deserve. And for a long time, I held on to these lies and believed them. But because the God of truth shines light in darkness, we learn that we are precious and beautiful to him. That we deserve the greatest gift He can give: a relationship with Jesus. And Jesus even let's us share in his inheritance.

And so when I ask God to reveal his truth in my identity, I ask him to show me how he loves me and to stop believing the lies I have heard growing up. He instead reveals to us how precious we are to him and to not believe anything different. He shows us that we are worthy, that we do indeed deserve salvation.

Secondly, I have been asking for God to reveal the truth of his identity. The Lord is mysterious and defies explanation and limitation. And I discovered that I had been trying to limit and define God. I try to make him convenient and comfortable. I had tried to come to an understanding.

I was watching one of my favorite show Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. He was off in India and after he tried fantastic food and failed at playing cricket, he was reciting his ending dialogue. He commented on the poverty in India and how it differs from that of poverty in western states. He said that we try to immediately analyze and comprehend every problem and never appreciate the complexities of issues. I feel like Americans do the same thing to God. Because we do not step back and appreciate the amazing mystery of God and how his ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts. Instead, I feel like people, including myself, since try to instead create our own version of God to serve our purposes. The mysterious, awe- inspiring God is a little to complex for us to understand so instead we make a God-in-a-box. Shave him down to our size. make him political. make him cute. make him silent. make him angry. make him sexy. All the sudden we have become God's PR agent.

In my case, I tried to make my God whatever the preacher said he was. The church was my God. The people in it. I look back, and I feel like I was worshiping the church instead of God. I was more concerned with what they thought about me and feeling accepted by them instead of God. The problem with putting your faith and hope in the church instead of God is that the church is not perfect. The church is people and people will hurt you and fail you eventually. God will not. He is always faithful and He is perfect.

So, I am asking God to reveal the truth of his identity to me. God doesn't need an agent. He can not be taken down to our level so he doesn't seem threatening. We can't make him a cute cuddly God, or a political angry God who hates everyone but Republican straight white men. God can't be put in a box. And that is what is so wonderful about this truthful, loving,, awe-inspiring, mysterious, and limitless God.

Isaiah 55:8 (New Living Translation)

8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.

2 comments:

Dominique Bortmas said...

I'd like a sexy god ;) more seriously, though, I did not think that this was too preachy, or preachy at all, for that matter. If you wouldn't have brought up the question, I never would have considered this to be preachy. I think it's like writing about "God loves you"; you "can't not" sound...preachy, for lack of a better word...when talking about something like that. And it wasn't too long, either. :P

ElAurian said...

thanks