Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I can do nothing on my own

I think that everyone is truly hollow and empty inside- at first. I guess a better way to describe us is as vacuums. We are an empty but because we are empty, we seek to quickly fill that empty space. I work as a cashier/stocker for a convenience store and the first thing they taught me was to pull all the items to the front and spread them out so it looks like it is fully stocked.

Isn't that what we all try to do? Create the illusion of being full. Or we try to fill our emptiness with whatever is readily available, or what gives us the most satisfaction at the time. Money, self-loathe, relationships, sex, alcohol, the next boyfriend, the next friend, the next party, even things that our culture tries to tell us will fill us like education, marriage, or family. The problem with trying to fill that emptiness with these things is that they will eventually let you down and reveal that emptiness that still consumes us.

( And to those who are skeptical about relationships with friends, family, or significant others not being substantially filling: "you know the saying about always hurting the one you love? well, it goes both ways."- fight club. it's true, think about it.)

I'm finally realizing this. Only I had tried to fill myself with self-loathing and a false image of a God that didn't really care and was impersonal. I am now realizing what David meant when he wrote in Psalms that He delites in every aspect of our lives. I am now learning what Paul actually meant when he wrote "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." To me this doesn't just mean that we can accomplish anything through God but also that without him we are nothing. Without Christ, the doors all seem closed and road seems longer. You feel like if you could just keep your head above water than you could do it. You could become successful on your own. But guess what!? You can't tread water forever, you will eventually drown from tiring yourself in your efforts. Luckily, God raises you up. As Christ says those who listen to his message and believe are raised from the dead. "but they have already passed from death into life.(john 5:24)"

When I was reading tonight I came across this verse (in the new living translation) :

John 5:30 "I can do nothing on my own"

Mind you, this is Jesus Christ talking. If Christ says that he can do nothing on his own than how can we expect to do anything!

6 comments:

DarkoZL said...

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Woah! Did I tell you that I'm repeating this exact excerpt to myself several times a day?

I had to... that's just too much of a coincidence.

But yeah, I repeat that to myself probably 100+ times a day to shoo away negative thoughts.

ElAurian said...

I don't think you told me. There are no coincidences in life...

ElAurian said...

but Dom told me

DarkoZL said...

Dom is such a blabbermouth :)

Dominique Bortmas said...

shut up; i told her way after she wrote this, and you told me that you wanted her to know about it. :p

DarkoZL said...

Don't be so squishy, Dom